tales of my post-grad travels and adventures

Monday, July 02, 2007

Bosnia-Hercegovina to Ljubjana

The town of Split was a bit of a disappointment after the beauty of the Dalmatian coast. The ruins of Dionicians castle were huge and most of the town was built inside. I decided that one day was definitely enough but the next bus up to Slovenia did not leave until the following evening. Instead of spending more time in Split I headed to Bosnia.
The first town that I reached after the small, sketchy border crossing was Mostar. Mostar is the home of the iconic century old bridge that was bombed during the conflict. I went to visit the new replica and the museum documenting the bridge through time including its slow destruction. Besides the bridge and the small shops and restaurants beside it, there was not much to do in Mostar. There was a small little local place along the way where I ordered blindly from the menu and had a meal of small sausages, onions, and spongy bread (called Ćevapčići) (I ordered something that sounded completely different that night and got the same meal but with bigger sausages, I think it must be a favorite). I wandered around looking at the churches and Mosques and bullet-hole ridden front line that has yet to be prepared. Many buildings are still unsafe and have signs warning of landmines inside. I made my way back to the bus station (the top half which was bombed out and has yet to be repaired) and took the next bus to Sarajevo. The countryside was beautiful with crystal clear streams and large mountains on all sides; not what I was expecting at all. I arrived in Sarajevo which is huge in comparison to Mostar and nestled in a valley. I only had four hours to explore before my train which was far too little but otherwise I would have had to stay for four days. I took a tram downtown and found myself in the midst of a posh downtown street with outdoor cafes and designer stores. The main street was flanked by religious and historic buildings, many of which were under construction. As I wandered down the main street the stylish cement stores quickly changed to small, house-like buildings of dark wood with red roofs which held a plethora of tourist trinkets and cloths. It was a really happening place and I would love to go back with more time to explore and investigate the nightlife.
From Sarajevo, I took the night train to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, where I had a quick half an hour to wander the main city square which is a host to stately embassies and beautiful gardens. I left for Slovenia (my 3rd country in 24 hours) on the morning train had the day to explore Ljubljana. While it is a city that does not grab me, it has a beautiful castle on a hill and a fun marketplace in town. I am also staying at a prison which was converted by art students into a funky hostel; it still has bars on the windows!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristina Lieberman said...

Amy,
Kyle & I have had fun reading all about your adventures, but we miss you soooooooooooooooo much! It sounds like you're having an absolute blast and I'm so happy for you. I'm not gonna lie though, I can't wait til you come home.
Good news-we have a reading for you from Tuesdays With Morrie. But I won't bother you with that now. Keep up the great blog and stay safe! Love ya!

10:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home