tales of my post-grad travels and adventures

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Distro Days



So here is my attempt to update my post more consistently; we'll see how well this resolution holds up. Today ways a busy day in the distribution center and New Orleans in general. The president came into town and drove in his limo to visit the lower ninth ward. This created great problems for both the people living in that area and the work crews that Common Ground was sending to go clean up the area because all of the roads were closed and cars were not allowed either way across the bridge all morning. They blocked off the street next to our distribution center because Bush was traveling along it which created great problems for the 18-wheeler full of water which was trying to make a delivery to us since we've been out for a few days. It really frustrated me, the other volunteers, and the residents that his visit disrupted the relief effort and our only hope can be that he gained greater realization of the situation (even though he never left his car) and will finally provide the ninth ward with the aid and resources they desperately need.
After Mr. Bush left the area we were visited by the crew and producers of Emeril Live, a show on the Food Network. They were doing a piece on second harvest which is one of our primary contributors and they spent over an hour interviewing my co-coordinator and filming around our site. They were a lot of fun and stayed after to hang out and help us move around lots of water in our supply tent to make room for the 1,500 pounds of rice we got later in the day (it was hilarious to watch the producers of a huge tv show sweating and slinging flats of water around). I am not sure when the clip will be on but if you happen to see it let me know how it is since we don't have a tv down here. Well, I am exhausted from a very full day so I am off to bed so I can do it all again tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home