tales of my post-grad travels and adventures

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Work and Play

So, I haven't quite figured out how to get the pics uploaded or if these computers will handle it. I feel as if I have gone back in time to the days where you need to bring something else to do while using the computers because it takes so long to perform each function. Anyways, this week has been wonderful and full of lots of good work and relaxation. I have been working most days at the distribution center which is totally my cup of tea since I get to interact with the community and also be part of the organizing and stocking (It is also very handy since my tent is set up right next door to the site). I love to hear the stories of the people who come in everyday and it is great to feel that I am part of the force helping to get them back on their feet and into their houses. They are so thankful that volunteers have come from all over the country and the expressions of gratitude are great motivators to try and do as much as possible. I have taken a few days off of distro to work in the health clinic and the emergency kitchen down the street and it was nice to help in different capacities and have some variety.
Although we work hard at Common Ground, we do get most nights free to relax or see the city. The court yard of our community center is a great place to congregate and most nights you can find a fire going and somebody playing a musical instrument with a group singing or dancing along. A few nights ago a group of us went to a local bar to hear what is said to be the best big brass band 'Nawlins style'. The bar was small and packed with locals and some visitors in the know and the band was fantastic; everybody had to get to their feet and dance for all three sets late into the night. There have also been other exciting events in the 9th ward like a hollywood film crew with fake swat teams running around and the governor even made a trip to our part of town last weekend. Tonight Loyola is hosting a lecture about geography and possibilities for New Orleans which should be really interesting. My first week at Common Ground has been fantastic and I can totally understand how people come planning on staying for a week and don't leave for months; there is so much to be done. On that note, I should go back to work; if anybody is interested in volunteering down here or has any resources that might be useful please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home